Friday, March 25, 2011

Dress-up Doll: Part II

A few days after the David's Bridal fiasco I went to a bridal boutique. The consultant showed me the racks and racks of dresses and explained the pricing breakdown. Dresses under a thousand dollars on the back wall, then two thousand, three, five, "and you could even go up to like forty thousand". HOLY WEDDING, BATMAN!!! Forty thousand dollars??? Does it come with a car hidden inside it?? So that made me a bit nervous.

We pulled out a bunch of dresses and went into the fitting room. Yes, "room" singular. There was a big room with mirrors all over the place and some chairs. You could either get dressed in the middle of the room or go to the other side and put on the dress in a little curtained stall. Well, if the point is to try on multiple dresses, I'm not going to go stomping back and forth in a dress that I may not even like, so I opted to change in the middle of the room. We were the only ones there originally so it wasn't completely weird, only mostly weird.

I got another smushy girdle bra and started in on the dresses. These were "designer dresses" though, so the store only had ONE of each. This meant that a lot of them were totally trashed... They were dirty and torn and apparently only in one size. Because I'm so small I got to be clipped into my dresses with big metal shop clips, the ones with the orange plastic bits on the ends. Most of the dresses felt and seemed pretty awkward since there seemed to be FEET of dress pinned in the back.

I didn't really have a great time, the dresses looked and felt dirty and I felt really disgusting after trying them on. I was also discouraged since I couldn't tell what the dresses would really feel or look like without enormous metal clips holding them onto my body....

Hilariously, when we were about half done, my polar opposite walked in. A blond, Southern beauty queen, at least twice my size. Where I was looking at close-fitting narrow silhouettes, she was looking at "princess" dresses with huge trains and poofy ball-gown bottoms. The dresses were huge swirls of white with feathers and fabric that must have weighed more than me. She had to be pinned into her dresses as well, but not to make them smaller. Her consultant was connecting clips to each other to try to keep the dress closed.  Seeing both of this happening in the same room made me think they maybe should have gotten more dress sizes and fewer garage clips...

At the end of the day, though I was feeling defeated and dirty, I did find THE dress... I've been trying to find it elsewhere because it costs over a thousand dollars at the boutique O_o

And so the search continues...

Cheers,
Red

No comments:

Post a Comment