Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Garage Sale

I want to discuss the garage sale. This is a very important tool used by many households to make a few bucks and get rid of extra stuff.There are some inherent rules to stick to when having a garage sale.

The Rules
1. Everything being sold is something you were planning on donating or throwing away
2. It should last no more than one weekend
3. If you think it is actually worth something then put it on ebay
4. Have some idea what the stuff is
5. Very small signs pointing in the general direction

Now I have been to tons of garage sales that break one or two of these rules, but in particular one so called garage sale is annoying me.

Near work I stopped at a garage sale that had nothing under five dollars and no real prices marked on anything. It was obvious he was collecting and obtaining items just to have a garage sale. This particular sale had been going on every weekend for two months straight. I finally stopped when I saw a table full of instruments, I asked about one particularly beat up marching french horn (marked as a rare trumpet) and he said he was asking five hundred for it, I laughed a little out loud.

So far this garage sale has broken every rule, except for the last one...........wait he has permanent neon spray painted signs that he covers with trash bags during the week....so yes he breaks every one of the rules.

No more shall his be called a garage sale! It shall be called a crappy roadside store with only weekend hours.

PS Red is King of the Garage Sale with the $25 snow blower.

No comments:

Post a Comment